Wednesday, September 22, 2010

C25K Update - Day One

First day of the Couch to 5K plan down!  We didn't want to do it.  Those voices were trying to talk me out of it.  They tried to tell me to just start tomorrow, that it was too late tonight.  Sam said it was too late.  Joe didn't want to do it.  The voices told me that anyone who saw us outside running would laugh at us*.  They told me I'd be SO embarrassed.  But I just made up my mind to do it.  "If you want to do it, all you have to do is do it."  I told Sam and Joe they could go or not go, but I was GOING.TO.DO.IT.  I watched the video for inspiration.  Sam watched over my shoulder.  Then she decided to put her shoes and running clothes on.  We all gathered outside and stretched for a few mins.  Then we got down to it.  After the first jogging rep, the voices were telling me "YOU CAN'T DO THIS...  ARE YOU CRAZY!?!?"  Sam said "we have to do HOW MANY of these?".  But doggedly, we continued.  I wanted to cry.  I wanted to give up.  I wanted to compromise with the voices and cut the routine in half.

Then after about rep 5 or so, we started congratulating each other.  And telling each other at every pass that we were proud of the other person.  And ultimately, our jogging didn't look so much like jogging and our faces were bright red (some redder than others (MINE!)) and our clothes were dripping with sweat but we DID IT.  And we hugged each other, BO and all.  Then we came inside and took this picture because we were proud:


I posted that picture on Facebook and now two other people want to join us.  HOW GREAT IS THAT?!?

So we are attempting to do a routine from the Couch to 5K plan EVERY DAY with one major change.  I think we are too out of shape to change routines once a week.  I want to take this slow and do it right, so we are going to do routine 1 for a month instead of a week.  We may do every routine for a month.  We may do them for two months.  Doesn't matter how long it takes me to reach my goal, just that I remain vigilant in working to acheive it.


*This prompted a joke to Sam before we started.  I told her that whoever sees us out there running is gonna think "ain't that a damn shame?  somebody done went and stole those fat people's cookies."

No comments: